Review: should you use Scaleway S3 Object Storage? (No)

Dear community,
This post is to warn you about the Scaleway Object Storage. According to its description, it’s a very appealing storage: it gives you 75 Gb for free, has nice pricing and claims to be S3 compatible. I’ve been testing it for several days and wanted to use it instead of AWS and other S3 cloud providers. However, the issues below stopped me from doing that. The test was done in 2 accounts: personal, and a new one registered for a client.

1. It took 3 days to delete a backet from the Scaleway UI :man_facepalming: I clicked the “delete” button, it said “success”, but the backet was still there. Support told be several times that they solved my issue, but the backet was still there. Finally after 3 days of messaging the support team, they could finally remove that backet. This issue happened only in the second newly created account: in the old account this issue didn’t appear. It means that the Object Storage is not stable and is not predictable.
  2. No way to monitor egress traffic usage as mentioned here https://community.scaleway.com/t/object-storage-outbound-traffic-display/8423 As a result you don’t know how much resources you consume and at the end of the month you will get a “surprise, surprise”:partying_face:: here’s is your invoice with arbitrary sum that you can never expect.
  3. No way to set alerts and limits on the number of resources you use, as a result your invoice may grow to huge unrestricted amounts.
  4. The lifecycle rules that are supposed to help you manage the backets and delete old files or schedule movement of files from standard storage to Glacier do not work. However, these rules are described everywhere on the website and are available in the UI, however, they are not functional. Support says that they are working on that and no ETA is available. Without such rules the Object Storage is useless for me. And I don’t understand why Scaleway states they have lifecycle rules while actually they don’t :thinking:. “Lies, lies” is still the casual behavior of Scaleway :lying_face:.
  5. Object Storage is not S3 fully compatible https://www.scaleway.com/en/docs/s3-object-storage-api/ And they don’t follow their own promises as usual, for example:

Now it’s Q1 2020, but the feature is still marked as unavailable.
  6. No way to configure dedicated or restricted access to the Storage and backets. You can get only your main API key from your account settings that allows access to all services of Scaleway. Such approach is not secure. One solution would be to create a dedicated Scaleway account for Cloud Storage only. However, in this case still the API key is the master key, and no way to manage the access rights.
  7. You may face problems when uploading large files. Many software clients suppose that they work with AWS S3-compatible storage, but Scaleway is actually not. AWS provides a max file size of 5Tb and max number of chunks is 10,000. But Scaleway supports 1000 chunks maximum with the same limit of 5Tb per file. This is not obvious and many software clients will fail uploading files around 5 Gb. You need to reconfigure the chunks option (encrease the chunk size) of your S3 client to be able to upload large files. Annother issue is that Scaleway UI allows to upload files less than 5Gb in size via browser.
  8. Empty backet can consume space. When you delete files from backet, it must have size of zero. But actually it’s not: Scaleway still charges you for files that do not exist:

Conclusion.
I’ve been using VPS of Scaleway for years. The Object Storage is something that I decided to try just now in 2020. I was very optimistic about it, however, again it’s something which is not suitable for production. The experience of using Scaleway is very unique: it’s a company with a wide range of services and affordable prices, but the services are never intended for production. There’s always something that does not work, something that is stated to be available, but actually it’s not, and many other things. For me Scaleway is the best platform for uncritical projects or for development: when a downtime for 3 days is OK, or if you loose information - that’s also something you will not regret about. But I expected something more for the Object Storage. I planned to use it for backups that have to be always available and secure. However, the Scaleway standard policy to post lies, not precise information, to conceal some facts, etc. is still in use. So, Object Storage is a very cool service if you need to test rclone, Cyberduck or you write your own S3 software and you need a place for testing. But for production use unfortunately it’s not good (well as all other services of Scaleway).

I’m still a loyal client of Scaleway and I will definitely continue using their products (because I’m developer and their service level is fine for my sandbox projects :innocent:). The goal of my post is to warn new users that are unfamiliar with Scaleway and plan to use the Object Storage in production. Besides, I share my experience and test results, so now you know which announcements about the Object Storage are true and false, what works and what does not.

1 Like

A wonderfully detailed review of what works and what doesn’t. Thank you!

As to Scaleway service level - you nailed it. I enjoy providing my own poor mans “cloud” services on low end Dell servers and consumer UPS (e.g. my wife was surprised to find a quiet SC440 hiding behind the TV) at home and at clients. Using a Scaleway service has only slightly better availability. But it lets me cheaply put nodes in Europe. Strangely, it generates a certain loyalty - as I feel a kinship. Maybe I should try offering my own cloud to the public at cheap prices - but try to be more up front about expected service level.

I added a new issue #7 about large files. Today I asked again the support if the lifecycle rules are something we can expect soon, but unfortunately no. Knowing how Scaleway works, I guess we can expect it not sooner than 2021.