Proxmox 4.x to 5.0 upgrade?

Proxmox 5.0 is out.
At the time of writing it is not yet available as OS to install from scratch.

On a brand new dedicated server, I’ve installed proxmox 4.4. (Not a single VM)
Then I’ve followed this :
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_4.x_to_5.0

Basically
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
sed -i ‘s/jessie/stretch/g’ /etc/apt/sources.list
sed -i ‘s/jessie/stretch/g’ /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

Reboot the system in order to use the new PVE kernel .

The server get stuck after reboot. No ping. ssh rejected.
Tried 3 times.

Anyone has experience with this ?

I just see proxmox5 is available on online.

You’re totally right. Thanks for pointing this.
This was not the case 10 hours ago ! :-p

Giving a try right now !

I rented a server to test proxmox 5. Impossible to login on the ftp and the console ssh. Finally same problem than you. :slight_smile:

The web interface work but not the ssh access.

Yep. I confirm. It was only working locally (ssh user@localhost).
Looking deeply, there was not even an ACK to the TCP connection creation.

I just flush the iptables rules (iptables -F) and now it’s working, even after a reboot…

There were very few rules listed by iptables -L … and unfortunately I didn’t take a screenshot of the NoVNC screen before being disconnected. Maybe you could post the iptables -L result so that we could figure out why by default ssh looks like dropped ?

Regards

Currently the staff of online.net the hand on the machine I can not check he have made a new install with another pass. I can’t verify that. They have detected the problem. They are working hard to bring already over. I think it is a mistake on their part that they will correct quickly. Could I come back to you to ask for some informations? You make me seem competent.

I’m currently on proxmox 3 and I would migrate in the futur to proxmox 5. I hope my iptable file of proxmox3 will work on proxmox5. :slight_smile:

Hi! Sorry for digging this thread out, but did any of you eventually manage to get Proxmox 5 running? I wanted to upgrade from 4.4 to 5.0, but seeing your messages I am a little scared :).

As far as I remember, the installation provided by Online is (now?) working from scratch.
I didn’t retry to upgrade from 4.x indeed.
But the “issue” may simply be default iptables rules! And many things could be resolved thru Rescue mode or IDRAC from the state tab.

OK, thanks! I’ll give a try to updating next month :slight_smile:

Hello @Gwendal how did the update went? :slight_smile:

Hi @sieben, unfortunately I never found time to take care of it, and now I am considering moving out of proxmox in a few months, so I might simply skip this update entirely. Good luck to you if you plan to update :slight_smile: