[OFFICIAL] New linux distributions (Debian, CoreOS, CentOS, Fedora, Arch Linux, ...)

Let’s discuss about new linux distributions.

Today, you can only boot official images or your own images, later you will be able to boot community-provided images

We would love to help people porting new distributions on our platform.

Documentation

You can create new images directly from a server, here is our documentation: https://doc.cloud.online.net/advanced/image.html

Github with scripts:

Current distribution topics:

Debian:

CoreOS:

CentOS/Fedora

Arch Linux

[resolved] Add debian image
[need feedback] CoreOS support
[need feedback] Add Arch Linux ARM image

One great addition would be Yunohost https://yunohost.org/ this would allow people to easily self host their datas, emails etc …

Can I create image which is not Debian-based?

Yes you can, you are only limited by our fixed linux kernel for now

There is already a Gentoo image available, we should release build instructions for Gentoo image building soon

Shortly, to create a new image, you have to:

• have a /sbin/init binary or script executable, you can create symbolic link if you don’t want to use upstart
  • look and adapt our scripts and configuration for your system, see https://doc.cloud.online.net/advanced/official_image_details.html
  • be careful about dynamic ip/network configuration (on each boot you have a new NBD server for instance)

Do I need to have the kernel modules matching your kernel?

No, we created a script to fetch them automatically oc-sync-kernel-module

Another question, with a clean ArchLinux ARM image. It seems like it run okay. But can’t get reboot to work from the server… How is the reboot process working? What script so I need?

Hi @Kristian_Klausen,

Did you get a look to the scripts we use to run servers properly on the platform?
Does your image contain all this scripts?

As @edouard said, you should look the ubuntu scripts, especially this one:

• /etc/init/nbd-root-disconnect.conf: Gracefully umount and disconnect root volume

Couldn’t you add to “–systemd-mark” to nbd-client in the initramfs? Do the samething as that script, if I understand it correctly.

Yes, we can

But if it can affect the stability of non-systemd based system, we will need to create two versions of the initrd, and it can be confusing for everyone

The best thing to do for now is to port the scripts for all init systems:

It is worth a try.
It is official way to do it in systemd, as I understand.

Just quoting you to link the other related topic, again

New distribution: Debian Wheezy 7.6 - 2014.10.17 BETA

Dedicated topic:

Nice work ! Let’s try it now !

Allow ISO Image upload

New release: Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 - 2014.10.17

Predecessor: Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 - 2014.10.14

Dedicated topic:

@manfred I mentioned you in IRC briefly regarding this but there are issues pulling and setting up any nbd block devices past the root nbd0. Not sure whats going on but there is a lot of noise in dmesg about it!

@manfred, nbd devices are not automatically connected at boot. Can you fix it?

In the topic for the debian image he notes that you need to call a script to connect them up, I think its just missing in his Debian image.

New release: Docker (1.2) - 2014.10.21 BETA

Based on: Ubuntu Utopic 14.10

Dedicated topic:

Docker topic:

[OFFICIAL] Official Docker Image