[need feedback] Please support CentOS (or at least Fedora)

Great start! Love the service so far. I am limited in using it because of lack of CentOS support. Even Fedora support would be helpful.

You can try to port CentOS or Fedora by yourself: https://doc.cloud.online.net/advanced/image.html

From what I see on forums, Fedora seems to be ported on our hardware (V20, V21)
But I can’t find port for CentOS

Don’t hesitate if you have any issues to port a distribution on our platform
We will also give a try to port the main distributions by ourselves, but it will be faster if the community does this, especially if some experts of the distros give help.

Official topic:

[OFFICIAL] New linux distributions (Debian, CoreOS, CentOS, Fedora, Arch Linux, ...)

That’s helpful. Since this is not my area of expertise, I would really hope Online.net creates a supported image or at least provides official instructions. Also after searching, I didn’t find any instructions for fedora in the community. If online.net is trying to attract say - Amazon EC2 users, the Amazon Linux is based on Redhat/CentOS (as you may already know) - this seems important basic functionality.

Does anyone succeed to start a server with CentOS / Fedora ?

I think it will not be possible at this time. As Redhat have annouced on July 2014 an ARM:
" As a part of the expanded Core efforts, we are also going to attempt to
deliver a CentOS-7 release for 32bit x86, ARM and PowerPC in the coming
months."
We don’t see any progress on their side…

So is Fedora possible?
If anyone gets either working, do reply back on this thread.

There is no support for CentOS sadly. Like I mentioned earlier in IRC, after talks with a package maintainer for CentOS there is currently no support or planned support for ARM in the usual CentOS release cycle. The tips I was given was basically along the lines of “mirror the entire repository and recompile them all for ARM” which is not something I am going to enjoy doing!

I got it working… From a Ubuntu server with 1 extra volume at /dev/nbd1

wget http://mirror.easyspeedy.com/fedora/releases/20/Images/armhfp/Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-20-1-sda.raw.xz
apt-get install xz-utils kpartx
unxz Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-20-1-sda.raw.xz
dd if=Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-20-1-sda.raw of=/dev/nbd1 bs=1M
kpartx -a /dev/nbd1
dd if=/dev/mapper/nbd1p3 of=nbd1p3 bs=1M
dd if=nbd1p3 of=/dev/nbd1 bs=1M
partprobe
e2fsck /dev/nbd1
resize2fs /dev/nbd1
mount /dev/nbd1 /mnt
nano /mnt/etc/passwd (edit '/etc/passwd' file and remove the 'x' from the line beginning with 'root')
nano /mnt/etc/fstab (comment 2 last lines out, and change UUID=blabla to /dev/nbd0)
umount /mnt
sync
nbd-client -d /dev/nbd1
shutdown

Then created, a snapshot of the volume, and create a new server with it…

e2fsck /dev/nbd1
This step fails with error that /dev/ndb1 is in use. e2fsck: cannot continue aborting.
Any idea how to resolve?

Also, missing step is to “apt-get install kpartx”

Try a partprobe else reboot… I think it because of the partition table, which we removed…

Kristian_Klausen thanks for input.

but it produced an Network error : connection refused

Thanks

You just need to wait, give it some time (5 min MAX)…
I not 100 sure, why it take so much longer… I think the backend system, is transferring the whole volume including free space, which it should not!..

i think problem is here

nano /mnt/etc/fstab (comment 2 last lines out, and change UUID=blabla to /dev/nbd1)

/dev/nbd1 should be nbd0 as when installing it is generally installed on nbd0.

You right :slight_smile: I forgot that…

Seems @manfred started to work on that: https://github.com/online-labs/image-builder/blob/master/images/fedora-20/build

@yann Can you take a look at centos and see if there is a way to make an image for that? http://centos.mirror.facebook.net/7/os/x86_64/

Hi,

actually, there isn’t CentOS image for ARM architecture.

Anyone successful in porting fedora?

Kristian_Klausen there is no ssh , even it not work in console, I had tried Adding up boot files using debootstrap, still it not work.

[nano /mnt/etc/fstab (comment 2 last lines out, and change UUID=blabla to /dev/nbd0)]

instead of /dev/ndb0 should we use volume id ?

It worked here…

No? /dev/nbd0 is a block device “connected” with ndb-client from the initramfs… You mean UUID or labels or?

At last i am able to boot fedora and it is accessible through putty.

Thanks to Kristian_Klausen , used his above post as base.

#Fedora

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade -y
apt-get install xz-utils kpartx

1. wget http://fedora.mirrors.ovh.net/linux/updates/20/Images/armhfp/Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-20-20140407-sda.raw.xz
  2. unxz -v Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-20-20140407-sda.raw.xz

#Format nbd 1 using extension 4

mkfs -t ext4 /dev/nbd1

1. dd if=Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-20-20140407-sda.raw of=/dev/nbd1 bs=1M
  2. kpartx -a /dev/nbd1
  3. dd if=/dev/mapper/nbd1p3 of=nbd1p3 bs=1M
  4. dd if=nbd1p3 of=/dev/nbd1 bs=1M
  5. e2fsck -f /dev/nbd1
  6. resize2fs /dev/nbd1
  7. mount /dev/nbd1 /mnt
  8. nano /mnt/etc/passwd (edit ‘/etc/passwd’ file and remove the ‘x’ from the line beginning with ‘root’)
  9. nano /mnt/etc/fstab (comment 2 last lines out, and change UUID= to /dev/nbd0) & add rw

#it will look like this

UUID=/dev/nbd0 / ext4 rw,defaults,noatime 0 0

1. nano /mnt/ /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

#add these lines

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

1. umount /mnt
  2. sync
  3. nbd-client -d /dev/nbd1
  4. shutdown

Then created, a snapshot of the volume, and create a new server with it…
Access server from console and give this command

mount -o remount,rw /dev/ndb0

1. passwd [ Set password and access server through putty]