How to deal with dynamic private IP addresses?

it was big surprise for me that private IPs has a dynamic nature at scaleway. Because of I would like to know how to deal with that fact in case there some clustered software required to set explicitly static IPs (for example IPs of few master nodes) - any suggestions?
Is it possible to use host names at private network without bootstrapping my own DNS server?

2 Likes

Hello @strobe,

1. Go to Server
  2. Click on your Server
    2.1 “PRIVATE DNS” [serverID].priv.cloud.scaleway.com

@eldin
Thanks.
It will work for some cases, but how to deal with others?

For instance - I would like to install DC/OS (Mesos based) (http://www.dcos.io).
Installation manual of DCOS has this note:

Important: The IP address of a node must not change after DC/OS is installed on the node. For example, the IP address must not change when a node is rebooted or if the DHCP lease is renewed. If the IP address of a node does change, the node must be wiped and reinstalled.

Reinstalling node each time then I have to turn off it ( for adding additional volume -for example) - doesn’t looks like right way.

Hello @strobe,

Sorry, but I can´t help you out – the IP´s will change.

Looks like solution is a mesh VPN set up by using Tinc

1 Like

Hello @strobe,

this is an interesting way of dealing with the situation – Good luck :smile:

I also have problem with this dynamic internal IP
I’m using VestaCP as hosting manager and there is the internal IP set inside the nginx conf files.
After a snapshot or a disk attachment, I have to run this kind of command and restart nginx service :

find . -name "*.conf" -exec sed -i 's/10.2.97.217/10.2.84.147/g' {} \;

Not a big deal, but not very professional…

Please reconsider your position on this point…

Yeah. This is absolutely terrible. Especially if you have something like a domain controller in your environment. You can’t use a subdomain as a DNS server… Who’s flawed logic was this and how does it make any sense at all?

Edit: apparently there was private networks coming “soon” in 2014: Lsyncd with private ip?. I wonder what happened with that.

@strobe

what solution did you implement
I am bootstrapping a DC/OS cluster right now
DC/OS needs an detect_script installed on each server that returns the private IP

Are private IP still dynamic or they are static?

I did Tinc vpn over Strongswan Ipsec tunnels which works for my dev needs.

I had modified Ansible playbooks for tinc to support strongswan too, but it’s more like proof of concept, not a complete solution.
It’s located here https://github.com/strobe/ansible-tinc/tree/wip--tinc-over-strongswan-ipsec
(See roles folder at wip–tinc-over-strongswan-ipsec branch.)

unfortunately Tinc itself doesn’t works well because it doesn’t encrypt packets playloads

ohh nice thanks buddy

my solution solved 2 problems:

• packets loss (by Source/Destinaton check at scaleway routers)
  • static IP configuration for DC/OS

but anyway it not so good for reason that every time then some node change IP you have to reconfigure tinc+strobgswan on every host (by Ansible)

You can simply use the dynamic IP address to sharing the internet.it is properly configure then internet is work fine. For instant support related to the Download AOL Desktop Gold please contact our technical expert for the best solution.