Common Workarounds [Ubuntu 16.04 + C2L]

Hello,

I have been spending a few weeks with Scaleway and have run into a few ‘unique’ situations. I will be adding to this as a knowledge base that hopefully some others may find helpful. These are primarily in junction with Ubuntu 16.04 and using a C2L machine, but most of these will still apply. Note: These are the findings I have either come across here in other threads or through trial and error. I do not claim to be an expert sysadmin. I just want to share what works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Mounting C2L SSD Disk
Problem:
The included SSD disk does not automatically show up in the machine.
Solution:

1. Create a filesystem on the disk. mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sda1
  2. Find the UUID of the disk. blkid
  3. Look for the /dev/sda1 UUID= copy the portion in “”
  4. Create your directory you want to mount to. In my example I will use /data. mkdir /data
  5. Open fstab with your favorite editor. nano /etc/fstab
  6. Add the following line (remove < > in the example) UUID=<UUID from step 3 goes here> /data ext4 defaults 0 2
  7. Test! mount -a
  8. Your drive should now be appearing and usable. Enjoy!

Using the web console
Problem:
The web console may not work by default in Ubuntu 16.04. You can type and type, and the console will not respond to text entered.
Solution:

1. Start the tty console for this session. systemctl start getty@ttyS1.service
  2. Enable the tty to start on boot. systemctl enable getty@ttyS1.service

More to come…

on my server the main disk mounted is /dev/nbd0 and i can not find any /dev/sda1, so i tried to follow your procedure with /dev/nbd1 but system reported that it is 0 block size. I am using C2M server which I thought should have SSD disk as well, or am I wrong here?

Only the C2L have attached SSD. You can add more of the nbd’s however~