ARM64 hangs with Ubuntu 18.04 fully updated

After creating ARM64 node with official Ubuntu Bionic image, updating and rebooting it, the server never goes up online again.

When I was trying to install itunes on windows 7 it was really causing trouble and due to that, I cannot install it at all so please help me to fix the problem so that I can work with it.

If Scaleway interface didn’t propose their official image to install on ARM64 I would be amused to know more about your itunes and windows 7 relationship.

But I assumed that if you propose the official image, you should at least test that it works after users do standard security update after login.

To validate the bug:

1. Create new ARM64 instance and choose official Ubuntu Bionic image
  2. ssh to new instance and run apt update && apt-get -y upgrade
  3. run reboot

The server is never get online.

Hello,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Indeed, we are already aware of it, and I am sorry for the delay in the response. Our hardware teams have found the root cause for this behaviour which is related to the current hardware revision of the ARM64 hypervisors. We have been working on a new revision of the HV’s that will be available very soon to resolve the issue. Once again I am sorry for the delay in the reply to this issue.

Kind regards,

Benedikt

No need to sorry. )

So, you’re telling that you’ve got some hardware that monitors ARM servers, and you need to update its firmware. That’s good news. Through support channel I finally got links to some issues in Ubuntu with storage on unmounting on soft reboot, and got the impression that it is some Linux Kernel bug with ARM64 and storage devices that nobody has the power to fix.

Nice to know that Scaleway is not only Linux Foundation member, but also cooperates with hardware vendors to improve the support.

Any news on the issue?

I need unattended upgrades on my server with automatic software reboots. If Scaleway didn’t solve the problem, I will look for hosting elsewhere.

Hello @abitrolly,

I just checked your issue with our developers, and the issue is caused by the kernel 4.4 bootscript.
You can solve it by switching the bootscript to a kernel 4.9 bootscript.
Once you have changed it from your console and archived/restarted your instance it will use the newer kernel and unattended upgrades will be fully supported.

Hello @bene,

Can you provide more details about the role of the bootscript? The docs at https://www.scaleway.com/en/docs/bootscript-and-how-to-use-it/ don’t explain enough. Ubuntu 18.04 image already comes with Linux kernel. Why another kernel is needed in this bootscript?

The problem that needs to be addressed in particular, is updating bootstrap script when operating system changes its kernel version, which is the case with Ubuntu 18.04.