[ANSWERED] - Upgrading to ubuntu 17.04

Hi,

I have a C1 account, and installed a docker image that was offered while doing the setup. I saw that this image is based on Ubuntu 16.04.

Can I upgrade to 17.04 or newer versions normally via apt-get upgrade, or is there something else I should consider?

Best,
Francis

Hello,

Yes, you can upgrade it, but keep in mind that not all Ubuntu versions are LTS versions and they may reach their EOL soon. I recommend to use a LTS version to have security updates for a long time:
https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life

Benedikt

Thanks @bene. Will upgrade to the LTS version when it becomes available later in June.

I tried apt dist-upgrade but it only upgraded a few packages, and I got this:

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.122ubuntu8) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-134-generic
UUID e809c3b8-af61-438f-8521-6af7e4963fbc doesn't exist in /dev/disk/by-uuid
Warning: root device /dev/disk/by-uuid/e809c3b8-af61-438f-8521-6af7e4963fbc does not exist

Press Ctrl-C to abort build, or Enter to continue

W: plymouth: The plugin label.so is missing, the selected theme might not work as expected.
W: plymouth: You might want to install the plymouth-themes and plymouth-label package to fix this.
Unsupported platform.
run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//flash-kernel exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Any chance you could explain me how to upgrade to 18.04?

Ubuntu upgrades should be done with sudo do-release-upgrade instead of apt dist-upgrade.

But then Scaleway modifies the stock Ubuntu installation in some (not very well publicised) ways that may cause breakage during upgrades, as I’ve discovered when I upgraded my 14.04 LTS server to 16.04 LTS: Safe OS upgrade

So I was brave and did a sudo do-release-upgrade to 18.04 LTS. You may want to know what I had to do to make rebooting work after the upgrade: